[wingide-users] tool-related commands and multiple windows

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Mar 17 13:50:16 MDT 2011

On 3/17/11 2:27 PM, Mitchell Model wrote:
> There have been discussions a number of times about the problems with having multiple Debug I/O window and never knowing where the output is going to show up. I just ran into a similar problem that convinces me that this is a more general problem: tool-related actions, including commands, do not take into account the user's likely association of a window's tools with the editing and debugging activity in that particular window.

Debug I/O is it's own case and has problems specific to it.  The general
algorithm for tools such as Search in Files is to look for an instance
in the window, then look for the last used instance outside of the
window, and finally to create a new instance if none is found.  I just
tried to replicate your problem with batch-search-forward and could not.
  Could you send us your preferences directly?  It may be dependent on
the layout mode or another preference.