[wingide-users] Text Justification annoyance

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 20:23:21 MDT 2011

On 16/03/2011 20:02, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2011, Michael Foord elucidated thus:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I have a text justification annoyance.
>>
>> I have code thusly:
>>
>> from .util import (
>>       strclass,
>>       safe_repr, _count_diff_all_purpose,
>>       _count_diff_hashable
>> )
>>
>> I select just the three lines between the parentheses (not the lines
>> with the parentheses on) and hit command-J. What I get is:
>>
>> from .util import ( strclass, safe_repr, _count_diff_all_purpose,
>>                       _count_diff_hashable )
>>
>> What I, and any sane developer, want is something like:
>>
>> from .util import (
>>       strclass, safe_repr, _count_diff_all_purpose,
>>       _count_diff_hashable
>> )
> Actually, what I want is:
> from .util import (strclass, safe_repr, _count_diff_all_purpose,
>                     _count_diff_hashable)
>
> That's the most asthetically pleasing for me.
>
> PEP 8 does not specifically address this, but PEP 328, which it
> references, presents this exampel:
>
> from Tkinter import (Tk, Frame, Button, Entry, Canvas, Text,
>      LEFT, DISABLED, NORMAL, RIDGE, END)
>
> So, draw your own conclusions. :)
Well, I didn't say that *all* developers would want the same thing as
me. :-)

However, the above would be fine if I had also selected the lines with
the parentheses to be included in the formatting operation. To include
those lines when they aren't selected is a bit anti-social though.

Michael

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil