[wingide-users] Debugger: Exceptions docs and more control?

Graham Wideman initcontact at grahamwideman.com
Tue Mar 8 03:22:23 MST 2011

Hi folks,

I've seen this:
http://www.wingware.com/doc/debug/managing-exceptions

... which is the only doc I could find regarding the Preferences > Debugger: Exceptions settings.  Is there some doc on features not mentioned there:

1. The "Report Logged Exceptions In When Printed Mode" checkbox

2. Immediate if Appear Unhandled:  What happens if debugger thinks an exception *is* handled -- no report? Or report, but not immediate?

3. How do the Never Report and Always Report lists interact with the Report Exceptions choices?

(I guess I'm confused over what specifies filtering vs what specifies when to halt and display.)

Also, I have a bunch of try except blocks wrapping code to provide good error messages, and that seems to mean I need the "Always Immediate" setting to catch errors during debugging near the problem line.  But then I get a lot of exceptions in standard libraries where they aren't interesting.  I could individually "Ignore" each one, but that's tedious.

What I'm wondering is whether there's some mode (or other strategy) that means "Always Immediate" but only for modules explicitly in the project?  (And Immediate-if-unhandled for any other module?)

Thanks!

-- Graham