[wingide-users] Wing is graying out regularly

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Mar 3 14:16:27 MST 2011

On 3/3/11 4:04 PM, Matt Calder wrote:
> I am getting frequent (every minute or so) gray outs during debugging
> sessions with Wing. Running top shows that Wing is hitting the
> processor pretty hard (100%) during these periods. This is a rather
> large project (100's of files), I am dealing with fairly large data (a
> number of 2000 x 5000 numpy arrays), and happen to have installed Wing
> 4.0 very recently. Basically, there are a number of potential
> culprits. What I am hoping to get is some advice on how to track down
> exactly where the issue is. Is there a way to get Wing to generate
> informative log messages during these periods of resource starvation?
> I realize that is an open ended question, any suggestions are welcome.
> This is Wing 4.0.0-1 (rev 24068), running on: Linux version
> 2.6.35-24-generic (gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5) )
> #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010. As an aside, it would be
> nice if in the Help-About, the system information could be presented
> in such a way that one could simply cut and paste the important bits
> into an email such as this one in one pass.

First use 'top' to check if it's Wing or the debug process that's
under load and Wing is getting stuck somehow waiting for data from it.
Is the debug process paused or at a breakpoint at the time?  If so, it
may be introspection or other data inspection code that is getting hung
up on large arrays (but that's just a guess).  We do try to identify
large values and not get stuck inspecting them but it's a rather
difficult problem.

If it's Wing that is under load you can do this to get profile info
during a time period:

1) From the Edit menu do Command By Name and in the buffer at the bottom
of the window type internal-profile-start and hit enter
2) Do whatever hangs up
3) Using Command by Name again do internal-profile-stop
4) Submit a bug report from Wing's help menu w/ error log (this will
include the profile and other info)

That's a start.  We can go from there to further diagnose it.