[wingide-users] mac os - ide 101 - python process has to be force-quit

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:23:59 MDT 2011

Hello. I am using Wing IDE to annotate and experiment with the sample
code for the book, "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt"
(http://www.qtrac.eu/pyqtbook.html). When I click Run on a script that
invokes Qt, for example a script whose main code reads something like:

   app = QApplication(sys.argv)
   form = someWidgetClassBeingExplainedInThisChapter()
   form.show()
   app.exec_()

Then the program runs, the widget displays, all is fine but when the
script terminates, a Python process continues to run. It is in the
dock as a Python 2.6 "spaceship" icon and the only way to get rid of
it is to either: force-quit it, OR, select Options > Restart Shell in
the IDE.

Note that if I run the same script from a terminal (i.e. python
scriptname.py), it runs and terminates in the normal way. Only when
run from inside the IDE does a python shell hang around afterward.

Any advice on how to prevent this annoyance would be appreciated,

Dave Cortesi