[wingide-users] Feature request - don't remove file contents when file is deleted in background on disk

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Jul 7 09:59:32 MDT 2011

On Thursday 07 July 2011, Wingware Support elucidated thus:
> On 7/6/11 5:26 PM, Russell Warren wrote:
> >> I just did a completely moronic thing and did 'rm *' in my main
> >> trunk.  I thought I was in my log directory... argh!  I ended up
> >> killing at least a few hours of work (hopefully not more!) since I
> >> hadn't checked in any of it yet.
> >>
> >> Anyway - I thought I would be saved since all my files I was
> >> working on were still open in Wing... but no such luck.  Wing
> >> auto-updated the lot of them to have empty contents, while keeping
> >> the file name as a tab.
>
> I'm not sure it makes sense to ask Wing to try to save the day here
> and it wouldn't help much, obviously, for files that are not open.
> Also, it would be confusing to have changed files update and removed
> files remain.  You could of course turn off auto-reloading in Wing
> and use Revert to Disk in the File menu as needed.

In the Kate text editor (KDE) if a file vanishes (or changes on disk),
when you go back to that file, a dialog will pop up telling you so, and
ask if you want to ignore, reload, etc.  Something like this for Wing
might make sense.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK