[wingide-users] Feature request - don't remove file contents when file is deleted in background on disk

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jul 7 06:08:25 MDT 2011

On 7/6/11 5:26 PM, Russell Warren wrote:
>> I just did a completely moronic thing and did 'rm *' in my main
>> trunk.  I thought I was in my log directory... argh!  I ended up
>> killing at least a few hours of work (hopefully not more!) since I
>> hadn't checked in any of it yet.
>>
>> Anyway - I thought I would be saved since all my files I was working
>> on were still open in Wing... but no such luck.  Wing auto-updated
>> the lot of them to have empty contents, while keeping the file name
>> as a tab.

I'm not sure it makes sense to ask Wing to try to save the day here and
it wouldn't help much, obviously, for files that are not open.  Also, it
would be confusing to have changed files update and removed files
remain.  You could of course turn off auto-reloading in Wing and use
Revert to Disk in the File menu as needed.

> For future reference, I had some decent undelete success with this
> excellent tool for ext3/ext4:
> http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/
>
> Curiously, pretty much all files EXCEPT my .py and .ini files were
> recovered (eg: all .pyc were recovered).  The completeness of that
> purge is interesting...  I had Wing's "search in files" set up to
> search all .py and .ini files in my project, so I'm assuming it is
> something about Wing continually crawling around all those files that
> made them unrecoverable.

Wing does read those files but doesn't write them unless you made a
change.  It may be a side-effect of the likely fact that the files were
in the disk cache at time of being erased.