[wingide-users] feature request: scan files in background

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Mon Jan 3 08:19:03 MST 2011

Forgot to copy the list earlier on the following response:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:02:16 -0500 Phil Vandry <vandry at TZoNE.ORG> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:03:35 -0500 Wingware Support <support at wingware.com> wrote:
> > Wing does do the analysis in the background in a way that should not
> > hang up the GUI.  If you're using Wing 4.0beta5 you are probably running
> > into known performance issues that we are working on resolving.  If you
> > have another version, please let us know.
>
> As suggested by Joshua, I guess it's not the analysis but the checks for
> changes on disk that could be causing this. I suppose I should just turn
> that feature off when working with remote filesystems.
>
> My diagnosis of the issue was based on stracing (under Linux) the Wing
> process during one of these episodes and noticing that it was busily
> scanning/opening/stat'ing a bunch of different Python files.
>
> I did notice this on version 3 (haven't migrated that computer to 4beta yet).

But then I went to turn off "Watch for external changes" and realized it
was already off.

So I'll try to capture more information the next time this happens.

-Phil