[wingide-users] Opening .py files with Wing via OSX

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Feb 6 14:14:07 MST 2011

On Feb 6, 2011, at 11:01 , Alexander Kain wrote:

> It would indeed be nice if this worked; however, as soon as the "change all" button is clicked, it reverts to (in my case) IDLE.

I couldn't agree more.  I have tried this in the past (not for python) and it's worked w/o problems.  I have filed a bug report with Apple (rdar://8964511).  It might help if others would do the same.

Do do this, you need an Apple developer account (available for free sign-up at <http://developer.apple.com>).  Multiple reports for the same problem are not an issue, and in fact, help Apple determine the "weight" of the problem, and is used in determining which bugs to focus on.

FWIW, I also see that the .py files are linked to IDLE (another IDE that works with Python source?  I don't have it on my system [but may have at one time; the system disk on this system hails back to 10.0 days :-}]).

On a freshly-loaded (wipe-out install) Mac OS X, 10.6.6, I see all .py's owned by 'python laucher'.  I get the same behavior when I try to change "Open with..." to Wing, but on this system, I have to go through a security dance as well ("You don't have permission to change just one; change all?"; I say "yes" and then reversion occurs).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon at Large