[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Feb 3 15:53:00 MST 2011

On 2/3/11 4:48 PM, Matt Calder wrote:
> I am trying to run Wing on a remote machine to debug code on that
> machine. I am using "ssh -X" to connect to the remote machine. I have
> a pretty solid network connection, but nevertheless performance is
> pretty awful. I can run emacs over X-windows with excellent response
> (I know, not a fair comparison). I am hoping I can get some guidance
> from someone who has been down this road before.
>
> Both machines are running ubuntu, the remote machine does not have a
> full desktop install the local does. I only installed xauth and
> enscript (a dependency called for during the installation of Wing) on
> the remote machine (and of course, Wing). My suspicion is that I need
> to install some parts of gnome or something else to get decent
> performance, but I don't really know where to start.
>
> The overall goal is to be able to do decent remote debugging on cloud
> instances, if anyone has advice on that I'm all ears. Thanks for any
> help.

Try adding the -C option to ssh, which enables compression.  There's
also -Y instead of -X (which enables trusted X11 display, which I'm
guessing maybe is subject to less overhead).

There's also http://freenx.berlios.de/ which is specifically designed to
be a faster way to do this.  I haven't tried it, however.

If you solve this, please post what you did.

Also, if you can't solve it you may want to look at setting up remote
debugging as described here:
http://wingware.com/doc/debug/remote-debugging -- however, in general,
remote X11 display is probably easier to set up.