[wingide-users] Remote debugging

Matt Calder mvcalder at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 14:48:30 MST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to run Wing on a remote machine to debug code on that
machine. I am using "ssh -X" to connect to the remote machine. I have
a pretty solid network connection, but nevertheless performance is
pretty awful. I can run emacs over X-windows with excellent response
(I know, not a fair comparison). I am hoping I can get some guidance
from someone who has been down this road before.

Both machines are running ubuntu, the remote machine does not have a
full desktop install the local does. I only installed xauth and
enscript (a dependency called for during the installation of Wing) on
the remote machine (and of course, Wing). My suspicion is that I need
to install some parts of gnome or something else to get decent
performance, but I don't really know where to start.

The overall goal is to be able to do decent remote debugging on cloud
instances, if anyone has advice on that I'm all ears. Thanks for any
help.

Matt