[wingide-users] Unlimited undo

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Thu Dec 22 15:54:32 MST 2011

On 2011-12-22 8:40 AM, Wingware Support wrote:
> On 12/22/11 3:45 AM, Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
>> How cool would it be to have an undo that goes past the file-open
>> boundary? So that you can undo from previous edit sessions and not be
>> limited to the current file-open-edit session. Wing could save the
>> undo buffer somewhere. I have always wondered, from a user perspective
>> (not technical!) why it is always limited in editors to the current
>> session. I can imagine that while holding the undo key combi that I
>> get a message when I reach the session boundary with a choice if I
>> want to go back further in time.
>
> I think people use revision control systems for that. The issue is that
> if you did have unlimited undo then the relatively small size of undo
> steps would become less and less interesting or even confusing the
> longer back in time you go. Revision control captures logical units of
> work in a much better way. It also lets you undo a particular change
> without going back through (and undoing) everything up to that point. I
> think by the time it was done a longer-term undo implementation would
> essentially look like a revision control system (with user-initiated
> commit points) so it doesn't really add much value. That said, I would
> like to have better ways to browse and undo/redo past revisions in Wing.

I think there is some middle ground between session-based undo and
revision control. I tend to commit things to vcs when I have actually
accomplished something (i.e. finished something, no matter how small).
And that almost always encompasses many editor sessions, partly because
I'm constantly switching between 2 different machines. I don't know if
Danny's "unlimited undo" is the best idea or not, but I think here is a
hole waiting to be filled there. IMHO.

Michael Hipp