[wingide-users] I can't get debugging from inside of Wing to work

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Dec 19 11:04:30 MST 2011

On 12/19/11 12:58 PM, Jens Hauch wrote:
> 'Debug ->  Step Into' (F7) works, but if I then 'Start/Continue' (F5), Wing does not progress to breakpoints and stops debugging. 'Debug>  Step over' (F6) seems to work if I start debugging with 'Step Into' instead of 'Start/Continue'.
>
> Now I am really confused as to why 'Debug>  Start/Continue' is not working.

A common problem here is not adding the code needed at the top level of
the tutorial module, as described earlier in the tutorial (in the
Introduction to the Editor section).  You need to type in this at the
end of the example1.py file:

news = ReadPythonNews(GetItemCount())
PrintAsText(news)
PrintAsHTML(news)

Without this Python just evaluates the top-level of the module w/o
actually invoking anything.

Please let us know if this doesn't explain it.