[wingide-users] Debugger won't pause

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Sat Dec 10 13:04:11 MST 2011

On 12/10/11 9:32 AM, Michael Hipp wrote:
> I have a program that is converting lots of records from a legacy
> database and stuffing them into Postgresql via SQLAlchemy. Somewhere it
> just stalls forever ... I'm pretty sure its deep in SQLA during a
> commit(). If I hit the Wing 'Pause' toolbar button nothing seems to
> happen. The Call Stack tool is empty and the program appears to still be
> running but still not doing anything. The 'Step' tools remain disabled
> on the toolbar. The stop button works fine but doesn't tell me where it
> was stuck.
>
> Is there something I can do in Wing to tell me where its getting hung?

Wing's debugger is a Python level debugger which means that it can pause
a program when it is executing Python code, but not during a C function
invocation.  Just as an example, this means that if Pause is used during
a call to time.sleep(10) the debugger will not be paused until the
sleep() call returns.  You may have been stuck in a call to the database
module that never returned.

To debug C code and stop while a C function is being executed, a C
debugger like VC++ or gdb can be used.  See
https://wingware.com/doc/howtos/debug-c-cpp for how to use a C debugger
with Wing's debugger.

Note that in my experience it's rare to need a C debugger unless the bug
is in the C code.

Cheers,