[wingide-users] Some thoughts

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Aug 22 10:40:29 MDT 2011

On 8/18/11 7:38 PM, ristretto.rb at gmail.com wrote:
> I have to say, PyCharm, feature for feature, is starting to make me a
> little concerned about Wing.
> I really hope Wing continues to be the rocking tool it is.  But, it
> looks like the IDE wars are hot, and I hope you have a plan.

I was on vacation last week and I wanted to counter the apparent
impression that PyCharm is nothing but bad news for us.

For one, it helps both our companies to have a serious Python-focused
competitor and it's clearly good news for our customers that there is
more competition in the field.  I've met several of the PyCharm
developers and they seem to have the same view of it.

For two, we've seen nothing but significantly increased sales since
PyCharm has come on the scene.  This is helping to accelerate the
process of upgrading our 10-year-old GUI infrastructure, among other
things.

I'm sure the GUI upgrade will still take longer than we would like (I
work on OS X so I would prefer it to be done already ;-), but I'm pretty
optimistic about Wing's future.

Thanks for the feedback and comments,