[wingide-users] Some thoughts

ristretto.rb at gmail.com ristretto.rb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:33:02 MDT 2011

Hi

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Philip Gatt <gattster at gmail.com> wrote:
> IF -- and this is a big IF -- PyCharm can get rid of the slow and clunky
> feeling it has, and the quirks it has, then I think Wing might have
> something to be concerned with.
> PyCharm has some great concepts, but when I tried using them they just
> didn't work 100% of the time. For example, it has good detection of errors
> giving you in-line warnings. I found myself having to cut / paste the same
> line to get it to re-initialize the line.
> I love that PyCharm is raising the bar for what an IDE can do,  but after
> testing PyCharm for a month I am glad to be using  Wing.

I would have agreed 100% with you a few months ago.  But, I have the
current pro version to use on my workstation, and it is not very slow
and clunky anymore.  With that said, though, I like the simple
approach of Wing.  For example, I'm happy to run the PyLint plugin
after coding for a bit, and not have the inline checking (though the
inline checking is nice.)

But, there are some core things that Wing just simple must do to keep
up with PyCharm, I think.  I listed them.

Cheers
Gene