[wingide-users] Debugging an Embedded Python Script

theDarkBrainer theDarkBrainer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 18:18:40 MDT 2011

Hello,

i'm new to python and Wing IDE.

i'm experimenting in embedding python in a custom application. everything
works just fine on the python side, but now i'm looking in a way of
providing debugging capabilities for the customers who use python in this
custom application.

I'm experimenting on windows. I have an .EXE that uses python as DLL. The
app does nothing but loads 'Program.py' and runs a function. Everything runs
ok.

So, I copied 'wingdbstub.py' to the same folder where the Program.py is, and
then I added:
import wingdbstub
wingdbstub.Ensure()

When I try to run the app through Wing IDE, i got an exception from the app:
try to enable wingdb...
   Python: Error: TraceBack:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PythonTest\PySource\Program.py", line 31, in <module>
    wingdbstub.Ensure()
  File "C:\PythonTest\PySource\wingdbstub.py", line 254, in Ensure
    raise ValueError("No debugger")
ValueError: No debugger

It seems that the environment variable 'WINGDB_ACTIVE' is not set.

I've tried to follow the instructions and set up the Wing IDE to use remote
debugging in Edit -> Preferences -> Debugger -> Advanced/Remote. Also, i've
set kEmbedded = 1 in wingdbstub.py ... no result.

i must be missing something simple ...

any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Vlad