[wingide-users] Menu disappeared in ubuntu 11.04

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Apr 27 06:50:01 MDT 2011

On 4/27/11 4:01 AM, Pieter Dumon wrote:
> I updated to Ubuntu 11.04 and the Wing 4.0 menu has disappeared.
> Reinstalled Wing (updating to 4.0.1) and removed the .wingide folder,
> but the problem remains. Anyone with same experience?
> In Ubuntu 11.04, the menu is now on the top side of the screen instead
> of inside the application window. It seems Wing is not compatible yet
> with Gnome's latest incarnation.

Yes, unity is not working right with our menus.  It's a case of there
not being proper binary compatibility, something that comes up w/ Linux
from time to time since distributions tend to assume everyone is
compiling everything from sources for each dist.

As a work-around, I think you can log in using the "classic desktop"
instead to get the regular menus.

The following may also be useful, although I haven't tried it and it's
not something I'd recommend if you're not comfortable w/ restoring
things from a non-GUI or failsafe login session:

http://oimon.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/disable-global-menu-in-ubuntu-unity-natty-narwhal-release/

This may also suggest a more localized fix -- I wonder if doing "unset
UBUNTU_MENUPROXY" before launching Wing from the command line will fix it?

I can't try either of these at the moment so please let us know if they
help.