[wingide-users] Wing pylint tool compatible with virtualenv

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Sep 29 13:33:43 MDT 2010

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Does the Wing Pylint tool work correctly if you're in a virtualenv?
> Mine keeps flagging import errors about bad imports. So I pointed the
> command at the pylint.bat file in Scripts in the VE. Now it produces
> no output at all.

For the record, the problem turned out to be specific to Windows.  The
pylint.bat there just invokes 'python' so won't work if another Python
is found on the path first.  It's basically assuming activate.bat is
already called.

One way to get it to work is just to edit pylint.bat to set the full
path to the virtual env Python.

Another way is to edit the file 'pylint' and add this at the top:

import os
dirname = os.path.dirname(__file__)
execfile(os.path.join(dirname, 'activate_this.py'))

This seems like somewhat of an avoidable bug in pylint to me, in case
someone wants to report it to the pylint developers.  The fix is
probably something like the above change to 'pylint'.