[wingide-users] Python 3.2 Alpha Breaks Wing

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Sep 27 14:30:49 MDT 2010

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> When I try to get Wing's Python IDE to restart using Python 3.2 Alpha
> 2, I get the following:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 3.2\bin\wingdb.py", line 542, in main
>     netserver = FindNetServerModule(winghome, user_settings)
>   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 3.2\bin\wingdb.py", line 362, in
> FindNetServerModule
>     raise ImportError('Could not import netserver')
> ImportError: Could not import netserver
> wingdb.py: Error: Failed to start the debug server
> wingdb.py: Error: You may be running an unsupported version of Python
> wingdb.py: Python version = 3.2a2 (r32a2:84522, Sep  5 2010, 22:35:34)
> [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
> wingdb.py: WINGHOME='C:\\Program Files\\Wing IDE 3.2'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 3.2\bin\wingdb.py", line 542, in main
>     netserver = FindNetServerModule(winghome, user_settings)
>   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 3.2\bin\wingdb.py", line 362, in
> FindNetServerModule
>     raise ImportError('Could not import netserver')
> ImportError: Could not import netserver
>
> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files\Wing IDE 3.2\bin\wingdb.py", line 553, in main
>     sys.exit(-1)
> SystemExit: -1
>

> I didn't really want to use Python 3.2, but I need it for the erf and
> erfc modules in the math package. This is on Windows XP with Wing
> 3.2.10-1 (rev 22669)

We don't yet have debugger and shell support for Python 3.2.  The issue
here is that the bytecode version number often still changes in alphas
and betas and thus it's a problem to support them.  You could recompile
the debugger support yourself and it might work, but we've not even
tested this yet with Python 3.2 as far as I know.

It looks like these functions are written in C in Modules/mathmodule.c
but they are pretty simple so maybe a solution would be just to copy the
implementation, make it into Python, and use it with Python 3.1 or
earlier.  They would only be performance critical if called a lot of
times, or at least it looks like each call does not loop very many times.

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Modules/mathmodule.c?view=markup