[wingide-users] Re: VIM mode and .vimrc

Matt Feifarek matt.feifarek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:53:37 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Wing IDE Support <support at wingware.com>wrote:

> We considered embedding but don't think it's a realistic option given the
> high level of integration that Wing needs with the editor.

Could be. I don't know about "realistic" of course... I expect that it would
be a pretty big project for you guys to switch gears. Other projects are
using vim with debugging and such http://pida.co.uk/ (but they're not as
nice as Wing, and may not have as much integration). Still, I should think
that with the ability to script via python, it ought to be just as possible
as controlling scintilla. Of course, what do I know ;-)

> As I mentioned, we're constantly improving the vi mode so please send us
> reports of what's missing.

I'm not sure it can work that way. For example, how can one set a leader key
in the vi/vim emulation in Wing? I've also got the rapid sequence of "kj"
mapped to <esc> to get out of insert mode. Can Wing do that somehow? There
is the stock command ^y which copies the character directly above the
current cursor when in insert mode; there is "g;" to jump back to previous
change (useful when leaving insert mode to go look something up somewhere
else in code)... I don't think it's reasonable to reverse engineer all of
them ;-)

> It's also possible to set up Wing to always reload files if they change on
> disk so you can use an external editor such as vi for editing and Wing for
> debugging or other activities.

Yep, I'm aware of that. If I need to do heavy text-lifting, I use this
feature.

Thanks for answering!