[wingide-users] Re: VIM mode and .vimrc

Matt Feifarek matt.feifarek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 14:37:04 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Wing IDE Support <support at wingware.com>wrote:

> On 9/20/10 1:08 PM, Matt Feifarek wrote:
>
>> Hi Wing guys.
>>
>> I'm a long-time customer and lover of Wing.
>>
>> Recently, I decided to try out vi key mappings in Wing, as I use vim
>> when I'm not using Wing.
>>
>> My question is: does Wing (in vi mode) respect a users' ~/.vimrc? It
>> seems like it is not, but perhaps I'm missing some feature.
>>

> Wing doesn't read .vimrc  The bindings are pretty good I think (I really
> don't know vi myself) and we are constantly improving them as people make
> suggestions so please let us know if anything that you use regularly is
> missing

Sorry; I meant to send to the list; hope that's ok.

So it's not a matter of keybindings so much, as customizations. Some are
indeed keys, but some are macro-like (one keypress triggers the 'virtual'
pressing of 4-5 keys) things. I doubt that it would be possible to emulate
most of this stuff.

It might be a stupid question, but rather than emulate vim, why not embed
Real Vim? It's free software, seems embeddable, and works on all your target
platforms. It's script-able from python (and python3) and has gtk support.
You'd get syntax highlighting, snippets, macros and all of that for free.

I love Wing, but am increasingly frustrated by not having all my text editor
tricks when I'm coding. I can swap out and swap back, but that kinda sucks;
I'd prefer to stay in Wing. And frankly, having "sortof vi" is worse than
just having plain Wing text mode... it's too hard to muscle-remember that
"sortof vi" is different than my real vim.

Have you guys looked at embedding?

Thanks again!

P.S. Do you hack *on* Wing *in* Wing, or are you guys using Emacs or
something? I wouldn't hold it against you ;-)