[wingide-users] Unable to install matplotlib with numpy in WingIDE (Ubuntu 10.04)

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Sep 13 17:18:08 MDT 2010

Virgil Stokes wrote:
> *How can I install numpy with matplotlib --- versions that will work
> together with WingIDE 3.2 on an Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit platform?
> *

Did you try to run Synaptic Package Manager from the System /
Administration menu then use search to find matplotlib and install it?
This also takes care of installing dependencies.  Then the default
Python /usr/bin/python (which is version 2.6.5 on Ubuntu 10.04) should
work.  I just tried it here with your test and it worked both in the
Python Shell and when debugging it.

In general on Linux you should use the distribution-provided package
manager.  If you do want a different matplotlib version you could
install Python from sources into a different location and add numpy,
matplotlib, etc.  But there probably is not much point in that.

I should note that if you already installed numpy and matplotlib from
sources into /usr/lib/python2.6 then you may very well run into problems
installing via Synaptic if it decides it cannot overwrite files.  I
would expect some error messages if that is the case.