[wingide-users] FindAllReferences feature?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Sep 6 11:02:27 MDT 2010

  Hi,

text search capabilities are nice and handy in Wing, works great.

But there is a feature in Visual Studio that I use much more often,
because it simply "does the right thing" in my use-cases.
Most often, I am maintaining foreign code, and when I want to
know about a certain function, I use "find all references".
This scans across the whole project and shows me every reference
to the function.

Of course it can be mimicked partially with the right search options.
But the difference is that this really only finds references to the
function, not some text that happens to be the same.

Now I'm busy scanning a big Python project, and I wished I had this
functionality in Wing. Does it make sense to think of it, has this
been discussed already? Or am I missing something existing?

I know it is a difficult thing with dynamic languages because little
is fixed at compile time. But wing does already an awesome job in
auto-completion which involves some introspection.
Does it make sense to analyze that statically?

cheers -- chris

p.s.: Pie-in-the-sky:
One could even go a step further and record references dynamically
and save this information in some cache. It would then show much more
references and be a real helper for those projects which compute many
things in a start-up phase, and is is hard to know what actually
gets used.

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
14109 Berlin                 :     PGP key ->  http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/