[wingide-users] Re: GTK integration for OS X

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Sep 2 10:56:03 MDT 2010

Christian Tismer wrote:
>  Hi Stephan, John,
>
> I've been lurking around on possibilities to make Wing tighter
> integrated with OS X.
>
> First I thought to port it to wxPython, but that is probably
> a big undertaking and also diversifies your project too much.
>
> Then I found the GTK-OSX project, which is already used by some
> projects like Gimp for instance.
>
> http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/
>
> I have not further tested it yet, but would like to give it a try.
> Do you see principle problems or did you try it before?
>
> Please let me know if it is worth the effort. I would contribute
> the work, given that there is a chance to get accepted.

Hi,

We tried compiling against GTK-OSX twice, once quite some time ago and
once a month or two ago.  The most recent attempt was a bit
discouraging.  Basic drawing was completely broken, probably due to a
change in the main GTK project that altered how coordinates were set up
w/o anyone tracking this change in GTK-OSX.

While we did put a lot amount of work into GTK in the fairly distant
past (mostly on Windows) we came to realize some years back that we
really need to be just users of the GUI toolkit and not also developing
it.  Wing is complex enough as it is and we need something that works
better on all OSes without us hacking on it first.  It's OK now for X11
and Windows but I fear that GTK-OSX would be another huge time sink as
was GTK on Windows in the early days.  It's one thing to get Wing
running under it and quite another to fix countless problems that crop
up afterwards and/or to fill in missing functionality needed for it to
be a reasonably polished commercial product.

Something like PyQt or wxPython would bring other benefits -- better
html display capability, some better widgets, and probably nicer overall
cross-platform support.  We've tended to lean towards PyQt so far, but
this is all still pie in the sky.  Nothing would be decided without
considerable further tests and we're not doing anything further with
this until after 4.0 final.

All that said, I think GTK-OSX deserves another look and we'ld happily
provide the sources for Wing and support if you want to try it.  Contact
us privately at support at wingware.com if you want to arrange that.