[wingide-users] Pythonpath and executable in wpu not wpr

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Oct 21 05:15:18 MDT 2010

  Hello guys,

At work our workflow is to use bzr and launchpad with frequent branching
for implementing new features. (Nice workflow by the way, particularly
using the Launchpad merge reviews, I can recommend it.)

My hope was that by storing a wing project file in our repos it would
avoid me having to re-configure wing for every new branch.

We use virtualenv, so relative to the project file (which lives in a
'tools' subdirectory in the project) the Python executable is always
../.env/bin/python. Similarly there are sensible relative paths
available for the two paths I need to add to the PYTHONPATH.

*However*, both the Python executable and the custom PYTHONPATH settings
are stored as absolute locations in the .wpu file. This means when I
create a new branch I have to reconfigure.

The alternative approach is to activate the virtualenv from the command
line and set the PYTHONPATH and then launch Wing from the command line.
This means that when switching between branches / projects I have to
close and relaunch Wing which is inconvenient.

My suggestion would be that if the PTYHONPATH / executable settings are
"within the project" then they should be in the wpr as relative paths
rather than in the wpu with absolute paths. (i.e. they are project
settings not user settings.)

Or can you think of a better way that fits with our workflow?

All the best,

Michael Foord

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.