[wingide-users] Feature request - hide an open file

Jonathan March JDM at MarchRay.net
Tue Oct 19 18:37:40 MDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

>  On 19/10/2010 23:42, Jonathan March wrote:
>
> Multi-Edit has a very useful feature that I used constantly:
> the ability to keep a file open, but not visible (no tab, not in the "next
> open file" rotation).
>
> This is useful when a project is large and dispersed, which makes it
> inconvenient to close a file that is temporarily out of use, because it may
> be time-consuming to find and reopen it (Recent File list notwithstanding -
> which of these am I finished with, and which have I only put aside
> temporarily?)
>

> Shift-control-O (open by name) is very useful for this. Saves you hunting
> around in your project to find files.

Thanks for this reminder, Michael. I should use this more often. But it does
not entirely fit the bill, because it does add the step of remembering the
filename. If, instead, the fileis lurking there out of the way until I am
ready for it, then I can just go to the list of hidden files and say... yes,
that's the one I want now.

Jonathan