[wingide-users] WingIDE versus PyCharm, Komodo and PyDev

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:16:29 MDT 2010

 On 10/15/2010 09:06 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> +10 (I cheated).
>
> In my 40+ years of working with software, this is by far the best technical
> support I have ever received. These guys not only respond in less than a day
> with excellent help and suggestions, they actively engage their customer
> base in the design of their product, so all of us can help shape the future
> of our most essential tool.
>
> It doesn't get much better than that. '-)

Yes, +1 on Wing's support. The flip side of Wing's support is also that
with the pro license, I get the source code. I haven't used that much,
but it makes me feel all warm inside to know it's there.

To me the other killer feature on WingIDE is its stability. The core
features in particular, like Search In Files and Source Assistant, never
break. The editor never crashes. The only upgrade that took some getting
used to was the 1.x -> 2.x upgrade, but that was worth it because it
made the IDE much more modern. Even Wing's betas are more stable than
most software out there, with bugs few and far between.

There are always a few features I want in Wing that are missing,
including the fancy argument completion someone mentioned. But the
features that are there work reliably, and I'll take reliable to fancy
any day.

Really the only IDE I've ever been so fond of was Borland's Turbo C++
for DOS IDE. It was magical, but Wing is even better, and not just
because it's Python instead of C++.