[wingide-users] WingIDE versus PyCharm, Komodo and PyDev

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Thu Oct 14 15:52:01 MDT 2010

On Thursday 14 October 2010, Konrad Hinsen elucidated thus:
> I actually do most of my Python development in Emacs, because there's
> so much else I can do in Emacs as well. I don't really like the "one
> IDE per language" approach. But it's WingIDE I use for any serious
> debugging.

I'm going to echo the sentiments about the debugger.  It just works, and
it works well.  I've traced down MANY bugs using it.

When I started using Wing many moons ago (late 2006), the feature that
clinched it was code completion.  I was spoiled, sadly,
by "Intellisens" when I was learning VB many years before, and had to
have code completion.  Of the IDEs I tired (Eric, WingIDE, Komodo,
maybe others), if the IDE couldn't do this:

import sys
sys.

And bring up a list of attributes for sys, it didn't get a second look.

Wing's code completion is VERY strong, especially for a dynamic
language, and is even better if you're doing "live coding" while your
code is active in the debugger.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK