[wingide-users] WingIDE versus PyCharm, Komodo and PyDev

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Wed Oct 13 15:15:18 MDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 2:19 PM, william ratcliff wrote:
> I don't have much experience with Komodo and PyCharm.  However, I really like
> the source assistant in WingIDE.  While I like PyDev (and a number of
> developers here use it), I found that rebuilding projects was rather time
> consuming.   For Wing, one feature that is worth playing with is the ability to
> do live debugging.   For example, if you set a break point and stop at it, you
> can execute code in a prompt based on the current state of the program.  This
> feature has saved me a LOT of time in debugging.  I haven't played with the
> beta version yet to see how well it integrates with Django (up to now, most of
> my python coding has been related to scientific computation and desktop
> applications.  We've been starting to do more web development and debugging has
> been more painful....)

I +1 all this.

The "live" debugger is heavenly. A real lifesaver.

I'm coming to enjoy the testing tool a lot also - really nice to click on a
failing test and be sent right to the source line.

If you have a multi-monitor setup, the ability to arrange your tools and
windows independently is powerful.

Wing is one of those "Just Works" tools. I've been using the v4 beta for more
than a month now. It's solid.

Michael