[wingide-users] Feature request: improve what Wing shows (and doesn't) in variable watches

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Oct 11 07:11:12 MDT 2010

Russell Warren wrote:
> When browsing variables in the stack frame (or viewing in a watch),
> I've had some issues with respect to what object members show up, and
> which don't.  Today I decided to look into it some more.
>
> The first simple example...
>
> class foo(object):
>     def __init__(self):
>         self.a = 1
>         self.b = int
> f = foo()
>
> If you put a watch on f (or look in stack data), you see 'a', but not
> 'b'.  You /also/ see __dict__, __doc__, __module__, and __weakref__,
> all of which seem pointless to me in a watch on the current stack frame.

I think you can probably achieve what you want by tweaking the Debugger
/ Data Filters preferences.  Remove 'function' from Omit Types,  add
'__doc__' to Omit Names, and so forth.

What makes sense to show here does vary by the code base and user
preferences.  In many cases it's not so useful to show the functions so
they are hidden by default.  But I've also worked in code where I wanted
them visible here and I either alter the preference or just go into the
Debug Probe to look at them.

Please let me know if this does not help.