[wingide-users] Threads launched in a unit test always attach to the debugger when "Enable Passive Listen" is selected

Russell Warren russ at perspexis.com
Sat Oct 9 13:51:24 MDT 2010

I've recently started using wingdbstub to do some external debugging, so I
set the "Enable Passive Listen" option accordingly.  Now when I "run" (not
"debug") a unit test, my code has started stopping on breakpoints that I
have set.  In "run" mode this should not happen.

After further investigation, the breakpoint is only being triggered if it is
within a thread that the unit test launched.  Breakpoints in the main
program are not triggered, as expected.

Is there a way around this?  The code on the thread is not importing
wingdbstub.

This happens in both Wing3 and Wing4 pro.

On a related note, are there any issues importing wingdbstub in something
that will be run from within the IDE?  For example, is code like below
necessary?

if __debug__:
  if "wing" not in sys.argv[0].lower():
    #code is not being run from within Wing