[wingide-users] Autoclose feature: Insert matching bracket, parenthesis, brace or quote

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Nov 26 10:05:45 MST 2010

On 11/25/10 11:32 PM, Bernhard Enders wrote:
> I would like to know how can I configure Wing IDE in order to make it
> autoclose the following characters: [, (, {, ", '. By autoclose I mean
> inserting matching character (bracket, paren, brace or quote). Komodo
> has this features and I cannot live without it.

This is a feature we'll try to add fairly soon.  A work-around would be
to use extension scripts like the following and bind them to keys like
Ctrl-(, Ctrl-[ and so forth:

def auto_close_paren():

   ed = wingapi.gApplication.GetActiveEditor()
   start, end = ed.GetSelection()
   doc = ed.GetDocument()
   doc.BeginUndoAction()
   try:
     if start != end:
       doc.DeleteChars(start, end)
     doc.InsertChars(start, "()")
     ed.SetSelection(start+1, start+1)
   finally:
     doc.EndUndoAction()
   return True

You would drop this into a file in your scripts directory (within the
users settings directory that is listed 5th in Wing's about box) and do
Reload All Scripts in Wing then use the Keyboard / Custom Key Bindings
preference to bind keys to them.

Real auto-editing could include a lot more than this and I hope to work
on this after 4.0 final is out.