[wingide-users] Re: Something's stealing the focus on Mac

Mitchell L Model MLMConsulting at Comcast.net
Wed May 26 13:14:58 MDT 2010

Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> Did anyone ever figure out what on Mac OS is stealing the focus from
> Wing on a regular basis (like every couple of minutes)? Pretty
> annoying and often it doesn't return the focus to Wing.

Exasperating, yes. I don't have an answer, but here's my experience,
using Wing IDE Professional and 10.5 (but with lots of extras, so I
never know what's doing what):

1. Carbonite is a disaster. If you have that installed, use its menu
item to "disable for 24 hours". (Ridiculous that they don't have a
choice for how long, or a trigger that turns it back on if you haven't
done anything for a while, and that, in the first place, they steal
focus and don't feel like doing anything about it [I contacted them])

2. With that out of the way, I do still get the odd focus wavering on
the order of 10's of minutes, but I'm not sure how regular it is since
it always comes back, and if I'm thinking or working in another
application I might not notice it. I suspect it is Mail or something
else (iCal?) synchronizing, especially if a Google calendar or mail
account is involved.

3. Sometimes unresponsiveness is not due to focus switch but to Wing
going off to scan large chunks of external code -- I get that with my
PyQt projects in their early stages, but eventually things get cached
sufficiently and Wing calms down.