[wingide-users] file associations on windows?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu May 20 09:27:59 MDT 2010

On 20/05/2010 16:22, william ratcliff wrote:
> Hi!  I have a rather silly question.  I'm using Wing 3.2.7-1 (rev
> 22079) on windows xp.  I've started playing with django and noticed
> that when I'm at a command prompt, if I type:
> django-admin startproject testapp
>
> that instead of creating a new django project, if I have wing running,
> it will open django-admin.py in the wing editor.  If wing is not open,
> it will start wing.   Is there a way to still have wing associated
> with python files for context menus (for example, "edit with wing"
> will still be available for python files), but that from a cmd window,
> python.exe is called instead of wing?  I've tried playing with the
> %pathext% variable, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

That's weird - I've never seen Wing *take* a file-association with
Python files before. Perhaps you set it up yourself sometime?

The way to change a file association is either to reinstall Python
(which does this for you) or shift-right click on a '.py' file in
explorer and choose "open with -> choose default".

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.