[wingide-users] problem regarding numpy

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu May 20 06:57:33 MDT 2010

nadia raj wrote:
> hi,
> i am using python 2.6.5 on ubuntu. i command shell when i import numpy
> in python everything is fine. however when i import numpy in wingide
> python shell io get following error :

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/wingide-personal3.2/src/debug/tserver/_sandbox.py",
> line 1, in <module>
>     # Used internally for debug sandbox under external interpreter
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 130,
> in <module>
>     import add_newdocs
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/add_newdocs.py", line
> 9, in <module>
>     from lib import add_newdoc
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/__init__.py", line
> 152, in <module>
>     from type_check import *
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/lib/type_check.py",
> line 8, in <module>
>     import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py", line
> 5, in <module>
>     import multiarray
> ImportError:
> /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined
> symbol: _PyUnicodeUCS4_IsWhitespace
> >>>

> please help me. python 2.6.5 i being used in both cases i.e. in
> terminal and wing.

The first thing is to verify that sys.executable is the same in your
command shell and Wing's Python Shell.  If it is not, set the Python
Executable in Project Properties to the sys.executable in the shell
where it works.  It looks like you're running a build of Python that
does not match the build parameters for the extension module in
multiarray.so.

If that does not help, you may also want to see if numpy.core.multiarray
within and outside of Wing are coming from the same file. If not, check
the sys.path and look at modifying Python Path in your Project
Properties as well.

If none of that helps, please let us know which version of Wing you are
using and how you obtained or compiled Python and numpy.