[wingide-users] "Last Edit Location"

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed May 19 08:01:31 MDT 2010

Rex Turnbull wrote:
> I had always supposed/hoped that is what the  'auto bookmarks' (little
> green arrows top left of editor window) did, but I sometimes get nipped
> at just the wrong moment..
>
> Simple example: work in line 248, need an import so go to top (on
> windows Ctrl+Home), write import statement, click on 'Previous visit in
> history', land somewhere I had visited sometime previously, but not line
> 248.
> ->Perhaps the 'Ctrl+Home'-Event is not being recognized for history
> recording? This may be a  just on Windows bug.

Yes, that's an oversight and I've fixed it in our sources for Wing
3.2.8+.  Thanks for pointing that out.  If you find other things like
that, please let me know.

I still think an edit location history would also be useful since the
auto-bookmarks track places you visit w/o editing.  I find I tend to
hunt around a bit, then start writing code in a few locations and would
like to easily bounce between those locations w/o revisiting places I
was just looking.  If there are two or three, I just do it w/ splits in
the editor but past a certain point the splits get too small (esp. on a
laptop).

BTW other partial work-arounds for this that I use are: (a) doing "undo"
and "redo" in succession to jump back to the point of most recent edit
within the current file, and (b) doing a diff in the version control
tool and right-clicking to Goto Source for a particular difference.