[wingide-users] Less fancy black background theme

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Mar 30 06:54:20 MDT 2010

cool-RR wrote:
> How do I get it? I didn't know there were any themes except those on
> the menu in Wing.

Wing is based on GTK 2.x so other GTK 2.x themes can be used with it.
We ship with a small
subset of themes that have licensing that lets us include them in a
commercial product.  There are
tons of themes at http://gnome-look.org

We don't make any guarantees that other themes will work.  Our GTK is
fairly old and there
are certainly plenty of themes out there that are buggy in various ways,
that don't have sideways
notebook tabs, etc, etc.

Themes go into bin/gtk-bin/share/themes in your Wing installation.  One
caveat is that they
can't rely on a theme engine that we do not include.  We have only
smooth, redmond95,
pixmap, and hcengine theme engines.  I don't know if it would work to
add any but many/most
themes don't use a theme engine.  If you did add a theme engine you
would have to compile
it and put it in bin/gtk-bin/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines in your Wing
installation, although I've
never tried this so I don't know if it will work.

You do need to restart for Wing to rescan the theme directory.