[wingide-users] PyQt & Python 3

Mitchell L Model MLMConsulting at Comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 07:27:06 MDT 2010

For those trying to figure out what GUI toolkit to use, here's another
datum: I've been doing heavy PyQt work using Python 3 and Wing IDE
Professional for several months and am very happy with the
combination. PyQt is really extraordinary. I don't have enough
wxPython or GTK experience to back this up, but it seems to me that Qt
has a far greater depth of support and far greater breadth of
capabilities -- it's much more than a GUI Toolkit -- than either of
the others, and PyQt in avidly maintained in both Python 2 and 3
versions. I've been using both Mac Leopard (OS X 10.5) and Windows 7
(mostly the former).

I had some trouble getting everything setup consistently in Snow
Leopard (OS X 10.6), in particular 32- vs. 64-bit compilations of
Python, Qt, and PyQt, and I was under big time pressure so I backed
off to 10.5, but more recent releases of Qt and PyQt than I was using
probably solved whatever problems I was having and I will try OS X
10.6 soon.