[wingide-users] auto-select

Mitchell L Model MLMConsulting at Comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 15:13:53 MDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Wing IDE Support wrote:

>>> They're equivalent to the items on the Edit -> Selection menu and
>>> they
>>> allow text to be selected by moving the cursor. The select mode is
>>> stopped via the exit-visual-mode command. The modes and command
>>> names
>>> come from the vi keybinding support, but are available when any
>>> keybinding is active.
>>
>> Yeah, but what do they DO? I played with them a little and was
>> perplexed.
>
> In select-char mode, characters are selected as the arrow keys are
> pressed.  In select-line mode, the current line is selected and then
> more lines are selected as the up or down arrow keys are pressed.
> In select-block mode, the rectangle of text with corners at the
> starting position and the current cursor position is selected.
>
> There's a few more quirks, but that's the basic idea.  Note that the
> block / rectangle mode suffers from the same limitations with short
> lines as doing rectangle selection with the mouse does -- the column
> is bounded by the length of the line.  We plan to fix the rectangle
> problem in a future release.

Cool, thanks. This is not unrelated to the issue of selecting compound
statements. Really, rectangles are different from blocks -- it might
be useful to have both, but I think the syntactically knowledgeable
version is best if there will be only one. Very weird to drag my mouse
down and see my lines cut off at the length of the initial line! I
just wanted to select an (unfortunately long) entire method and move
it. Maybe you have suggestions for a better way.