[wingide-users] Question/Suggestion: More docstrings

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Mar 5 09:16:50 MST 2010

cool-RR wrote:
> Refer to this excerpt out of PEP
> 0257: (Link: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0257/#what-is-a-docstring)
>
> """
> String literals occurring elsewhere in Python code may also act as
> documentation. They are not recognized by the Python bytecode compiler
> and are not accessible as runtime object attributes (i.e. not assigned
> to __doc__), but two types of extra docstrings may be extracted by
> software tools:
>
> 1. String literals occurring immediately after a simple assignment at
> the top level of a module, class, or __init__ method are called
> "attribute docstrings".
> 2. String literals occurring immediately after another docstring are
> called "additional docstrings".
> """
>
> Is Wing one of these "software tools"? I'd personally enjoy it if Wing
> could display these kind of extra comments in the source assistant.

Currently Wing only pays attention to the first docstring in module, class,
method, and function scope.

This hasn't come up before, as far as I can remember, so I'm not sure how
often people really use these other docstring forms.  I could see  that
"attribute docstrings" would be useful, though.  I don't get the point of
"additional docstrings", however.