[wingide-users] Re: Debugging internally started python processes

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Thu Jul 22 17:12:24 MDT 2010

On 7/22/2010 2:05 PM, Wingware Support wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>> I am not sure how this debugging is meant to work and I do not believe
>> the documentation makes it clear at all. Please provide examples in
>> the future for debugging of embedded code which shows how this is
>> supposed to work.
>>
>> My situation is:
>>
>> In first.py
>>
>> os.system('second.py')
>>
>> In second.py
>>
>> Some code that I want to start debugging.
>>
>> Do I put the wingdbstub.py and the wingdebugpw files in the directory
>> where second.py exists and then an 'import wingdbstub' at the
>> beginning of second.py ? Or does the wingdbstub.py and the wingdebugpw
>> files go in the directory where first.py exists and then an 'import
>> wingdbstub' goes before 'os.system('second.py')' ? It seems the first
>> choice above is probably correct but your doc does not make this obvious.
>
> Yes, you would 'import wingdbstub' in second.py and place a copy of
> wingdbstub.py in the same directory as second.py or somewhere on the
> Python Path that second.py will be using.
>
>> To debug both first.py and second.py do I open the Wing IDE twice with
>> the appropriate source files in the project with their breakpoints and
>> then start debugging first.py and somehow the second IDE instance
>> stops at the appropriate breakpoing after the os.system('second.py')
>> triggers ?
>
> Yes, open one instance of the IDE from which you'll start debugging
> first.py. Then open another instance and make sure it's got Enable
> Passive Listen checked in the menu that pops up when you right click on
> the bug in the lower left of the window. Then add the 'import
> wingdbstub' in second.py if not already there. Then start debugging in
> the first instance of the IDE. first.py will invoke second.py which
> loads the debugger and connects to the second instance of the IDE. This
> works because the first instance of the IDE does not listen for debug
> connections because it is already debugging and thus the second instance
> handles the debug request from second.py. It's workable but still easier
> to just debug one process at a time. In most cases only one will be of
> enough interest to debug.
>
>> If I am only concerned with debugging second.py do I just execute
>> first.py ( or python first.py ) and an IDE instance,equivalent to the
>> second one above, stops at the appropriate breakpoing after the
>> os.system('second.py') triggers ?
>
> If you only want to debug second.py, do the same thing but execute
> first.py instead of debugging it. In this case you only need one IDE
> instance that is set up to listen for debug connections ("Enable Passive
> Listen").
>
> Please let me know if that is not clear.

I tried this with WingIDE open twice but the debugger in my second
instance never stops at a breakpoint or gives any indication of being in
debugger mode. Yet the script which I am trying to debug in the second
instance of the Wing IDE must be executing since I see a wingdbstub.pyc
in the directory of the script from the 'import wingdbstub' line I have
placed at the beginning of the script.

Any ideas of how I can proceed to determine why Wing is not debugging
the second script in its own instance of the Wing IDE ?