[wingide-users] some requests for Wing

Ilya Murav'jov muravev at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 22 10:35:26 MDT 2010

Hello!
 I have used IDE for some time and got a few issues and questions.
I use version 3.2.5-1 (rev 21674), Wing IDE Professional.

 Bugs.

1. Command "Debug All Tests" don't debug all tests if not all test files
reside in one directory (I use nose tests). More concretely, if I have a
test file in root directory, the command debugs only it somehow.

2. In non-English (Russian) keyboard layout hot keys Ctrl-Z/C/X/S...
do not work (Undo/Copy/Cut/Save/...).

3. While debugging with "Debug All Tests" unnecessary XML markup is
printed in "Debug I/O" toolbar

4. No readline support (with "import readline") if I force to use
external consoles. If I don't use "Use External Console" there is no
full readline support (history of commands works, but autocompletion not).

 Wishes/Requests.

1. I like to put project files (.wpr) in subdir of package, not in the
root dir. So I need to set custom "Project Home Directory"
(Project->Properties->Options), but:
- the setting doesn't accept relative paths like '..', only absolute
ones; on the contrary, it force it to as '/home' somehow (if you save it
and open again)
- I would like that the setting Project->Properties->Debug->Initial
Directory have explicit radio button like "As Project Home Directory" or
permit relative paths for Custom too

2. Feature request: History of Clipboard Use (with Ctrl-C). I use such
functionality extensively in SlickEdit and find it very useful. I think
this picture shows what I mean: http://imagebin.ca/view/euCAqHb.html

3. I use "Search in Files" extensively and would like that options Case
Sensitive, Whole words and Regex Search be visible immediately, without
opening Option' menu-button (I can see enough room for them on the
toolbar :) ). And yes, I know about hot keys like "Alt+O, C", but if
I need to set several checkbuttons I have to press Alt+O again and
again, and see what button to press (C,T,R...).

4. Source Assistant cant calculate type of variable for Python "with"
statement. Obviously, it should see to corresponding "yield" command.

5. Make it possible to turn off coloring for some buildin Python
functions, like sum, abs, len, min, max, set and so on. They are
classified as word2 in Syntax Formatting; more base objects like True,
False, None, type, int... are classified as word2 too. I would like to
see the formers as black and the seconds as colored => can you create
new group like word3 for it?

Anyway, Wing is very good program, thank you. :)
Another question: here
(http://wingware.com/downloads/wingide/3.2.9/source) you assert that
someone can get the Wing source code, under non-disclosure agreement.
Does it mean I could fix some bugs and requests myself (and suggest
patches back to you)?

Regards,
 Ilya Murav'jov