[wingide-users] Impressions and feedback from a new user

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Tue Jul 6 14:17:57 MDT 2010

Hello Wing users,

As a new user (I don't know how come I never found out about it before
now), I've been trying Wing IDE for about a week and a half now. I
really like it in principle and it has lots of great things going for
it, but unfortunately I have decided not to buy it. The reason is
because of the editor. Generally, of course, I spend a quite a large
chunk of time in the editor so I'm afraid I have high expectations
that it should work correctly, but I have found several cases where it
doesn't do what I ask it to do. Inescapably, that's a deal breaker.

I wanted to share as many of these problems as possible because the
software appears to be really good and if these issues were solved I
would immediately and enthusiastically buy it!

I am using vi editing mode on MacOS and Linux (but mostly MacOS).

So on to the issues:

- Copy & Paste

In MacOS, I can't copy something from another application and paste it
in Wing. I tried the usual MacOS keys ⌘C and ⌘V, I tried the
traditional X11 way (select with left button and paste with middle
button), nothing seems to work.

I can get copy & paste working within Wing with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
(still no ⌘C and ⌘V or X11 middle button) but I had to set a
preference for that. Shouldn't that work by default? The menu suggests
some alternate keybindings like Ctrl-Insert but I've never seen this
before and I don't even have that key on my keyboard anyway. Standard,
well-known copy&paste methods should be better supported.

(by the way, I guess lack of support for ⌘C and ⌘V is related to
the recent discussion about lack of a native MacOS version of Wing,
but I have to say I kinda like it under X11 just the way it is... I'm
afraid I would lose focus-follows-mouse if it were MacOS-native!)

- "x" doesn't work correctly at the end of a line.

When pressing "x" at the end of a line, the last character of the line
should be erased and the cursor should back up to the new last
character. In Wing the cursor remains at the same place, which is an
impossible position for the cursor in vi (in vi the cursor can never
be beyond the end of a line). The incorrect cursor position then
causes subsequent editing commands to take effect at the wrong location.

- "p" and "P" commands don't insert at the correct place.

The "p" is supposed to always take the lines that have been yanked or
cut into a vi buffer and insert them between the current line and the
next line (i.e. after the current line). Similarly, "P" is supposed to
insert the buffered lines between the previous line and the current
line (i.e. before the current line). In Wing, both commands actually
chop the current line in two pieces at the cursor position and insert
the buffered lines between the pieces.

To reproduce: yank 2 lines of text by placing the cursor on the first
line and typing "majy'a". Then move to a different line that already
has text on it and press "p". The 2 yanked lines should appear AFTER
the current line but they embed themselves into it instead.

- "Confirm Reload"

I constantly get a dialog asking me to confirm reloading files that
have changed from disk. The list of files it wants to reload is all of
the files in my project. None of them have actually changed...

- last line of the file is confusing

(I list this one for completeness but I could live with this issue,
it's kinda minor)

In vi, it is impossible to position the cursor past the last line of
the file. In Wing in vi mode, it is possible to place the cursor one
line past the end of the file.

This gives the impression that there is a blank line at the end of the
file, but there actually isn't.

-Phil