[wingide-users] Performance running code in Wing

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jan 29 09:51:02 MST 2010

Jan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I execute some code from Wing it's about 4 times slower than
> running from the command line. I wonder if this is normal or it
> there's something buggy going on?
>
> I'm on a i7-860 machine with windows 7-64 bit and python 2.6.4 (32
> bit). I've seen this on Wing 3.2.3 and 3.2.4

Nested loops with most work happening in pure Python code can cause the
debugger to be quite a bit slower. The slowdown is proportional to the
number of Python byte codes that are executed. Some types of Python code
execute very many by codes and others quite few, because most work is
done in C code.

Another area that we've seen the debugger to be quite slow is when
compiling regular expressions with the "re" module.

I do think it's somewhat slower than I would expect, and we'll take a
look at whether we can optimize this.