[wingide-users] Finding unused variables into a file & indentation guides

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 21 10:25:11 MST 2010

Alex Rades wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently evaluating wing ide professional and I'm quite happy
> with it, but I miss one thing from pydev: It can tell you if you have
> unused variables in your file, and it shows you a mark on the line of
> the unused variable.
>
> I see that the pylint tool does it, but I don't find a way to run it
> automatically, so that I don't have to remember to call it for each
> file I modify.
> Is it possible to call pylint automatically and have some mark on the editor?

This is currently not possible, at least as far as placing marks on the
editor. It is possible to modify the scripts/pylintpanel.py script to
have it auto-update when a file is saved. There is an example of this in
the scripts/editor_extensions.py file that is in your Wing IDE
installation. Search for the word "presave".  Since pylint is pretty
slow, I am not sure how well this would work in practice.

Our longer-term plan is to add more error and warning indicators like
"unused variable".

> Another small question: Is it possible to change the color of
> indentation guides? I'm using a dark background, and they are too
> white, interefering with the code.

Unfortunately not. It is on our list of things to do, and that increased
its priority.