[wingide-users] RE: Wing and DirectPython again

Simon Pickles sipickles at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:39:34 MST 2010

On 14/01/2010 11:08, Simon Pickles wrote:
> >On 1/12/10 12:05 PM, Simon Pickles wrote:
> >>/  A while back I wrote about strange problems with Wing and DirectPython.
> />>/  DP is basically just calls into the C API, wrapping DirectX.
> />>/
> />>/  Wing has two major flaws with this situation. Breakpoints and
> />>/  exceptions. Both cause Wing to hang if they occur after the DirectPython
> />>/  DirectX device has been created (and the window, if that has any bearing).
> />>/
> />>/  It is like the app is waiting for the debugger which is waiting for the app... Any suggestions?
> />
> >There can be an issue with the floating point precision mode.  Are you
> >running with the mode set to single precision (24 bit)?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >John
>
> I think I was, yes.
>
> I changed my code to create a DirectX device with the D3DCREATE_FPU_PRESERVE flag, as specified here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416457%28VS.85%29.aspx

Actually, DirectPython uses DXUT framework to create its device and the
source code reveals the D3DDevice is created with FPU_PRESERVE anyway:

         hr = pD3D->CreateDevice( pNewDeviceSettings->AdapterOrdinal,
pNewDeviceSettings->DeviceType,
                                  DXUTGetHWNDFocus(),
pNewDeviceSettings->BehaviorFlags | D3DCREATE_FPU_PRESERVE,
&pNewDeviceSettings->pp, &pd3dDevice );

Shame. Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Si