[wingide-users] IronPython CodeCompletion

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 08:47:34 MST 2010

On 15/01/2010 12:44, Larry Richards wrote:

> I'm having difficulty getting CodeCompletion to work with IronPython.
> I'm using Windows 7, IronPython 2.6, and Wing IDE 3.2.3-1.
>
> I first created the PI file directory, then added this to the
> "Interface File Path." Then I generated the PI files using the
> generate_pi.py script.  That seemed to work well enough, and I got a
> directory full of about 7.5 MB of pi files.

Ah. I get about 30MB of files - are you using 64bit Windows by any chance?

64 bit Windows ships the XML doc files in a different place, so
IronPython can't find them. On the other hand you should still get PI
files with all the types and members, just not the docstrings.

I ran through the instructions with Windows 7, IronPython 2.6 and Wing
3.2.3 and it "worked for me". Have a look in System.pi and check it
looks like 'sensible'. Mine is 2.3MB and starts with (docstrings omitted):

class AccessViolationException(SystemException):
   def ReferenceEquals(self, arg0, arg1):
     return bool()

class Action(MulticastDelegate):
   def BeginInvoke(self, obj, callback, object):
     return System.IAsyncResult()

etc...

Can you try creating a text file in your pi-file directory called
Foobar.pi with the following contents:

class Foobar(object):
     "a class"
     def method(self):
         "fooble wibble"
         return in

Once you have done that, if you type the following into a Wing file:

import Foobar
Foobar.

Once you type the Foobar. then you should be offered the FooBar class
for autocompletion. If that doesn't happen then either the directory
isn't properly on the Wing path for autocompletion or Wing is not
working in some way. If it does happen but the .NET autocomplete still
doesn't work then something is wrong with the way the pi files are being
generated.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.