[wingide-users] handing control from application to debugger

Mitchell L Model MLMConsulting at Comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 12:57:21 MST 2010

Is there a clean way for my application to hand control to the
debugger -- i.e., act as if a breakpoint had been set at a certain
line of code? I am looking for something equivalent to
pdb.set_trace(). I am aware of wingdbstub.debugger.Debug, but that
appears to be intended for use from outside of Wing. I have used it in
code running in Wing, but it doesn't always work because importing
wingdbstub sees that the environment has WINGDB_ACTIVE set and skips
the top-level debugger setup code. (Reading the code I don't
understand how my debugger hook every worked, since all it did was
call wingdbstub.debugger.Debug(), and under my program's current setup
after I import wingdbstub it has no name 'debugger'.