[wingide-users] Debugger question

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jan 8 15:55:14 MST 2010

Alan Harris-Reid wrote:
> When stepping through a script line-by-line using the Wing IDE debugger,
> I notice that sometimes the debugger displays a thin line (red in my
> case) under the 'return' line after the last line of the function has
> been executed, but before returning to the calling method.  I can see
> that this can be useful if I want to check the return values at that
> stage, but the line does not always appear.
>
> Does anyone know under what conditions this line appears (or not)?

At the interpreter debug hook level, there is the notion of a return
event at the moment that a function or method call returns. We show the
underline rather than the solid block when the current debugger event is
a return event rather than one of the others (call event, line event,
and exception event).

Whenever the underlying is shown, you can hover the mouse over the word
"return" and wing will show the value that will be returned from the
function or method.